Tuesday, June 20, 2023

What the Dead Know - Barbara Butcher

Barbara Butcher's memoir, What the Dead Know - Learning About Life as a New York City Death Investigator, was an absolutely amazing read. 

I read a number of fictional forensic series and enjoy the details and clues of determining the causes of death. But, Butcher is the real deal - she was the second woman ever hired for the role of Death Investigator in Manhattan - and the first to last more than three months.

I was fascinated by this inside look behind the curtain. Butcher recounts a number of deaths that have stuck with her over the years, for different reasons, including the 9/11 attacks. The factual bits are there - and I learned quite a bit. It's the personal part of death that stayed with me as I read, especially those who died alone. Butcher has a dark sense of humor that suits her narrative.

What makes this book a standout is Ms. Butcher herself. She shies away from nothing, exposing her own life for all to see. Addiction and mental health issues are part of her story. She's highly intelligent, driven and successful, working additionally as a speaker, professor, consultant and providing detail for mystery writers.

I literally I could not put the book down. Honestly, one of the best memoirs I've ever read. See for yourself - read an excerpt of What the Dead Know.

4 comments:

Mystica said...

Thanks for the review. Dark but interesting

Luanne said...

Def dark Mystica, but I couldn't put it down!

Ethan said...

I find myself being drawn more to nonfiction recently. Like you, I think I've read many fictionalized versions of these stories, so it is refreshing (albeit heartbreaking) to learn of the true stories.

Luanne said...

Ethan I promise you’ll really enjoy it