Tuesday, April 2, 2019

The Stranger Diaries - Elly Griffiths

I absolutely adore Elly Griffiths' Ruth Galloway series. The eleventh book is due out next month. But! Griffiths has penned a stand alone that is an absolutely wonderful read! The Stranger Diaries.....think modern Gothic......

Clare teaches English at Talgarth High. Talgarth is also where Gothic author R.M. Holland wrote his most famous story - The Stranger. Past and present collide when a school colleague is found dead - with a line from The Stranger by the body.

Griffiths opens the book with an excerpt from The Stranger - and I was hooked. Initially Clare is the lead character, but the narrative switches to DS Harbinder Kaur who is in charge of the case. And I was surprised when the narrative switched again to a character I hadn't considered playing a larger part. These switches happen numerous times, giving the reader numerous viewpoints to draw on. We are also given many suspects to choose from. (I must admit, I was surprised by the final whodunit) And then there's the option of there being something more, shall we say, otherworldly, involved.

Excerpts of The Stranger continue throughout the book in addition to excerpts from Clare's diary, giving the reader more fuel for speculation.

Every character is well drawn and fleshed out. DS Kaur was my favourite - I hope she might make an appearance in a future novel.

"It can be a dangerous thing, reading too much." Griffiths' writing makes for addictive reading. The only danger is staying up too late reading 'just one more chapter'. Absolutely a five star read - here's an excerpt.

"Goose-bump spooky, smart, and haunting…I loved this book - Louise Penny"

3 comments:

Mystica said...

Have this On my TBR list. Thanks for the review.

Dianna said...

This sounds fascinating!

Luanne said...

Mystica and Dianna - I absolutely love her writing - there's a new Ruth Galloway coming out soon - if you haven't read that series I really recommend it!