Thursday, February 14, 2019

Once Upon a River - Diane Setterfield

I've read Diane Setterfield's previous two historical fiction novels and really enjoyed them. But her latest, Once Upon a River? Absolutely fantastic!

1887. A pub in a small village on the River Thames. And what is a pub if not a gathering place, a place to catch up with neighbours and friends and a place to tell stories. Many stories are told of the dark and stormy night that Henry Daunt stumbled into The Swan, half dead and carrying a small girl. The girl appears to be dead....but miraculously isn't. But who is she? Many claim to know her, but is she Ann? Amelia? Alice?

"In this room, in this inn, they had seen her dead and seen her alive. Unknowable, ungraspable, inexplicable, still one thing was plain: she was their story."

I was drawn into Setterfield's tale from the opening pages. I could picture myself sitting in a cozy corner of the pub, listening to the stories being told. Once Upon a River has a delicious fairy tale feel to it.

We are introduced into a wealth of characters as the search for  who the child is begins. Each and every one is wonderfully drawn. And as with a fairy tale, you'll find the 'good' and the 'bad' very easy to determine. I was drawn to so many of the 'good' ones. But my favourite has to be Robert Armstrong, a farmer who plays a pivotal role in this tale. His goodness shines through, his determination to do the right thing. And...he talks to his pigs. And the pigs seem to understand and answer with their eyes. A close second was Rita Sunday - a no nonsense nurse whose crisp exterior covers up her heart's desire - and fears. But the entire book revolves around this character - the water, the River Thames. The water gives and takes, holds memories of what has gone and knows what should be.

Who the girl might be (and was she really dead?) is at the center of the book. And the answer to that drives the book forward in a measured, meandering, magical journey.

Setterfield's prose are wonderful and the story captivated me. I was sad to turn the last page. But so very glad I read this one. Once Upon a River has found a forever home on my bookshelf. Read an excerpt of Once Upon a River.

"And now, dear reader, the story is over. It is time for you to cross the bridge once more and return to the world you came from. This river, which is and is not the Thames, must continue flowing without you. You have haunted here long enough, and besides, surely you have rivers of your own to attend to?"

7 comments:

Kay said...

Love this review! So many seem to be liking this book and I've read others by the author too. Looking forward to reading it at just the right time.

bermudaonion said...

You've made me want to read this book right now! It sounds terrific and that cover is gorgeous!

Grandma Cootie said...

Thanks for this review. I enjoyed Diane Setterfield's other work but somehow this one slipped by me. It's going to the top of my TBR.

Luanne said...

Kay - it's lovely - and yes pick the right time. You'll enjoy it.

Bermudaonion - the cover is indeed gorgeous. I'm glad you enjoyed the review!

Grandma Cootie - you're welcome! I know you'll enjoy it!

Dianna said...

I have this book on my stack right now! Started reading it and finished a couple of chapters, but got sidetracked. The writing style is just beautiful, and deserves my attention (not to be skimmed, like I tend to do when I rush-read.)

Mystica said...

You have written a very compelling review. Thanks.

Luanne said...

Dianna - you nailed it - her writing style is absolutely beautiful and worth savouring.

Thank you Mystica!