Thursday, February 7, 2019

Her One Mistake - Heidi Perks

I never tire of suspense novels! My latest listen is Her One Mistake by Heidi Perks. And it was really, really good!

Harriet is a very protective mother. She has never left her four year old daughter Alice with anyone. She's taking a course (that she doesn't want her husband to know about) so she agrees to let her best friend Charlotte take Alice to the school fair with her own children. But, the unthinkable happens - Alice goes missing....and Charlotte is to blame. Is there a more frightening premise!?

Her One Mistake is told in alternating chapters from Harriet and Charlotte's viewpoints. As listeners we are privy to both women's thoughts, emotions and angst. But we also get a glimpse into their private lives. Despite being best friends, Harriet never really talks about herself, her past or her marriage. And there's a lot going on in Harriet's marriage. Her husband Brian is so well written. The public see one face, but Harriet lives with another. I love the back and forth method of storytelling. Although, it does ensure I stay up far too late, listening to just one more chapter.

But where is Alice? Is she dead or alive? Perks throws in a plot twist that I didn't see coming at all. And the title? Her One Mistake - whose mistake? And what mistake? You'll have to listen to find out!

There were three readers for Her One Mistake - Kirsty Dillon, Julie Maisey and Sally Scott. Now, I'm not sure who played what part, but they were all excellent. Charlotte's voice was more confident and Harriet's tone portrayed her hesitancy. All the emotions - anger, fear and grief that would come with a lost child are believable from both readers, But the narrator for Brian was really, really good. The quiet reasonable tone used belies something darker. And when that happens, the inflection is perfect. An all round excellent performance. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I love listening to books. You become immediately immersed in the tale by listening. Listen to an audio excerpt of Her One Mistake.

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

This sounds so good and audio sounds like the way to go - I love it when they use multiple narrators.

Kay said...

I like multiple narrators too or I often do. So, they used a woman to voice 'Brian's' voice. Interesting. I've had this one on my list and look forward to reading or possibly listening to it. Way to whet my appetite, Luanne! LOL

Dianna said...

I would love to read this!

Icewineanne said...

Always love a well read audiobook! Glad you enjoyed this one, it sounds like fun :)