Thursday, January 18, 2018

The Wife Between Us - Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen

Here's another one to add to your list psychological suspense lovers - The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen.

From the prologue: "She is oblivious to what I have done to her. She is unaware of the damage I have wrought; the ruin I have set in motion." Yes, that had me hooked....

In part one we meet a wife - a discarded wife, traded in for a newer, younger model. She drinks too much, so her judgment, thoughts and actions are often clouded and ill thought out. But the one thing she can't stop thinking about is the other woman. The other woman has her own baggage - a past that we know has secrets, but they aren't spelled out. Two women and a man. Is he everything a woman could want? Or is he too harboring secrets?

I'm being deliberately oblique, as I don't want to spoil the book for you. The publisher probably says it best: "When you read this book, you will make many assumptions. You will assume you are reading about a jealous ex-wife. You will assume she is obsessed with her replacement – a beautiful, younger woman who is about to marry the man they both love. You will assume you know the anatomy of this tangled love triangle. Assume nothing." This description is one of the main reasons I picked the book up.

And they're right - I was blindsided by the end of part one. I went back to earlier chapters and reread a few. And applauded  the authors for their cleverness - I did not see it coming. And I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. I had a few suspicions as I had read a book with a similar plot in the last few months. I was somewhat right, but Hendricks and Pekkanen put their own spin on things. I had to suspend disbelief a bit near the end and the last gotcha was a bit of a reach and didn't quite work for for me.

That aside, The Wife Between Us was an addictive page turner, guaranteed to entertain. And you'll be seeing The Wife Between Us on the big screen - film rights are sold to the folks who brought you The Girl on the Train. Read an excerpt of The Wife Between Us.

8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm excited about this book and its success.

Kay said...

I'm just beginning to see reviews of this one. Looking forward to it.

techeditor said...

I read this, too. I won an ARC from St. Martin's Press.

I thought this might be a romance novel or aromantic thriller but found it is neither. Although it does describe a love triangle, it doesn't exactly. It seems the ex-wife is stalking and terrorizing the girlfriend, but then it doesn't.

No one in this book is as they first seem. It felt like I was constantly having to revise my understanding of people and events. As a matter of fact, halfway through the book I, like you, wanted to stop and reread everything I had read so far.

Lori Bree said...

I loved this book!! Excited for the movie!

Mystica said...

Gosh sounds intriguing.

Luanne said...

Lots of press and promo on this one Bermudaonion - and worthy of it.

Kay, it's an entertaining page turner.

Techeditor, the authors do a great job of manipulating the reader's perceptions.

Lori, I will be eager to see the movie as well - and wonder how they'll handle that part one twist - if it makes it to the movie version.

Mystica - it's a darn good psychological suspense read.

Dianna said...

I've got this one on hold at the library - only 4 ahead of me at this point. Looking forward to reading it!

Luanne said...

Only four Dianna! That's a great waitlist!