Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Vintage Trailer Voyeur - Victoria Ocken

I have been fascinated by the little house movement for awhile now. Looking, dreaming and imagining what if? But to be honest, unless I build it myself - they're out of my price range.

But when Victoria Ocken's  new book, Vintage Trailer Voyeur: A Peek Inside the Unique Custom Trailer Culture crossed my path, I got excited. A trailer is doable for me. And not just any old trailer - a vintage trailer. And I imagined all the fun that could be had by fixing and gussying up that vintage beauty.

I remember camping in a wee little trailer with my parents and sister when I was younger. We delighted in sleeping in the upper bunk, that on reflection could have only been about 16 inches from the ceiling. I remember how cosy it was and the sound of the rain on the tin roof.

There are over 400 beautiful colour  photos of many, many types of vintage trailers - from wee little teardrops to full size Airstreams. Each of them has a style and presence. Some have been redone with a theme in mind, some have been left as they were, with original cabinets, some have been re-outfitted.  But all of them are beautiful - tiny little homes that look so comfortable and inviting. I loved looking at the detail and care put into each restoration or outfitting. A caption accompanies each photo and there are short essays from many of the owners as well. The joy that the author and other vintage trailer lovers have for their passion shines through. I would have enjoyed seeing a photo of each owner with their trailer.

Ocken has a very personal connection with trailers. The prologue "Everyone has a story. My story has been intertwined with trailers from an early age when I was abandoned in one as an infant....."

Vintage Trailer Voyeur is a great coffee table book or a wonderful inspiration. Me - it's the latter. Now, to start scouring for just the right one.......

1 comment:

Patti V said...

Right up my alley! Love the tiny house/trailer idea!