Thursday, June 9, 2011

Over the Counter # 58

Books about recycling seemed to be what caught my eye this week as they passed over my library counter and under my scanner. First up was trash-to-treasure papermaking by Arnold E. Grummer.

From Storey Publishing:

"Make Your Own Recycled Paper from Newspapers & Magazines * Can & Bottle Labels * Discarded Gift Wrap * Old Phone Books * Junk Mail * Comic Books * and More
Transform junk mail, newspapers, comic books, wrapping paper, labels from cans and bottles, old phone books, and more into beautiful handmade paper in just minutes! Trash-to-Treasure Papermaking shows you how to create unique sheets in a variety of shapes, colors, textures, and sizes, using just a blender and some water. The book also features dozens of fabulous projects you can make with the newly created paper—such as cards, invitations, little bound books, paper bowls, wreaths, and ornaments. This fun, easy craft is suitable for everyone in the family, even preschoolers!"
 
Next up was Eco Books by Terry Taylor. 

From the publisher Lark Books:

"More than just earth-friendly, these 40 innovative book-making ideas are also beautiful, clever, and stitched with traditional binding techniques.  Egg cartons, beer cans, and cassette tapes morph into covers, while brown bags and coffee filters are transformed into pages. Create a boxed set of cereal box books or even a faux leather journal made from teabags."

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But... I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

4 comments:

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Oh wow! We do a LOT of recycled arts and activities with found materials at school. Looks like I need to check these out!

bermudaonion said...

When I try things like this, they never look very good.

Marie said...

I love books that offer great ways to recycle. Both of these books look interesting. Thanks for featuring them.

Luanne said...

Pam - I was thinking these would be a great resource for a 'green' kid's program at the library.

Kathy - the pictures always look better than mine too!

Marie - thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying this feature!