Thursday, June 23, 2011

Over the Counter # 60

The latest book to catch my eye this week as it passed over my library counter and under my scanner was Homemade Soda by Andrew Schloss. I had never thought about making soda from scratch before...and the 'shrubs and switchels' category caught my eye. (They're soft drinks spiked with vinegar, developed as temperance beverages in the 18th and 19th century with the vinegar taking the place of alcohol)

From Storey Publishing:

"Making your own soda is easy and inexpensive. Best of all, you control the sweetness level and ingredients, so you can create a drink that’s exactly what you want. Using a few simple techniques, anyone can make a spectacular variety of beverages. Try Pomegranate Punch, Chai Fizz, Fruity Root Beer, Sparkling Orange Creamsicle, Honey Cardamom Fizzy Water, Sparkling Espresso Jolt, Cold Fudge Soda, Lightly Salty Caramel Seltzer, Sangria Shrub, Maraschino Ginger Ale, Malted Molasses Switchel, or Berry Vinegar Cordial. Some recipes show you how to re-create the flavors of favorite commercial soft drinks, and others show you how to use homemade soda in decadent desserts and adult cocktails. The delicious possibilities are endless!"

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But... I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

1 comment:

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

This sounds fascinating. Making your own soda? Too cool. I'd love that.

And your "about me"? I can so relate. If I don't have a book with me at all times, I don't know what to do. I read while standing in lines, while waiting in the car, everywhere!
2 Kids and Tired Books