Friday, November 20, 2009

A Touch of Dead - Charlaine Harris


Okay I fully admit it - I was a Sookie newbie. I'd heard so much about Charlaine Harris's series and placed a lot of holds for patrons, but hadn't gotten around to reading one.

A Touch of Dead , a short story collection, was the perfect 'starter' for me. Okay, for anyone else out there who hasn't read a Sookie story yet, here's the basics - Sookie Stackhouse is a waitress in small town Bon Temps, Louisiana. She just happens to be telepathic. Vampires have 'outed' themselves to the world; fairies and goblins, witches, shapeshifters and werewolves are part of the town's population as well.

Harris has an absolutely wicked sense of humour. In 'Dracula Night', an awe struck vamp hopes that Dracula himself will come to his party. Kind of like Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin as one character remarks.

How's this for an opening line in 'One Word Answer'? "Bubba the Vampire and I were raking up clippings from my newly trimmed bushes about midnight when the long black car pulled up."

The supernatural becomes part of the everyday landscape of life in Bon Temps. The stories are fun, but do contain an element of darkness as well. There's romance also, as Sookie is still looking for a boyfriend. Sookie is an engaging character, very likable. Harris seamlessly blends the everyday with the paranormal, creating charming, bewitching tales.

I honestly wasn't sure I would enjoy this as it isn't my usual style, but you know - I'm hooked. I'll be heading back to start at the beginning of this enchanting series. HBO has also based a hit series on Sookie called True Blood that I want to check out. You can read an excerpt of A Touch of Dead.

Anyone else spellbound?

9 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I think my expectations were too high when I read my first Sookie book. I need to try another one.

Luanne said...

When I was reading I was kind of thinking the Janet Evanovich of paranormal fiction. Pretty light, but enjoyable.

Kori said...

This is my favorite series besides Harry Potter. I think Charlaine Harris is a wonderful writer and am so inspired by her! Have a great day honey! Kori xoxo

Mrs Suvi said...

Hmmm.. this sounds interesting but I'm not sure I'd enjoy it... maybe I'll try it sometime. Hey Luanne, I just got Rush Home Road in the post, can't wait to start reading :)

Luanne said...

Excellent - I really want to know your thoughts when you finish Pinkilili!

Toni said...

I watch the series but have not read a Sookie book yet. I am thinking that I will soon... I know I will.

Anonymous said...

I've never read Sookie!

I have an award for you HERE

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I have her first book sitting on my shelf waiting. True Blood is awesome. :)

Ladytink_534 said...

My first introduction to Sookie was through a short story several years ago and I was just hooked. Its been one of my favorite series ever since.

Dracula Night is in Many Bloody Returns and I think One Word Answer is in Bite.