Wednesday, October 16, 2024

The Waiting - Michael Connelly

I've been a fan of Michael Connelly from the first book. For me, he's never written a book I didn't enjoy. And that's also the truth for this latest - The Waiting

"In cold cases, it’s not the hope that kills you. It’s the waiting".

Detective Renée Ballard runs the cold case unit in the LAPD with volunteers and retired staff. A new member has joined to replace the now retired Harry Bosch. But don't count Harry out - he still has the skills and the nerves that Renée needs when her badge and gun are stolen. She can't report them as she's on thin ice with her superiors. The politicking that seems to be seething underneath the public eye has always been part of the books, but is quite blatant in The Waiting.

The cases in The Waiting are brilliantly written. A historical case that you may recognize is one. Another uses new and modern methods to chase down a old case. I was fascinated by the description of these tools. And the hunt for Renée's badge uncovers an unexpected case.

I had to actually put the book aside when the suspense ratcheted up! I didn't want to skim either. So I got the breathing under control and picked it back up! The writing is so very, very good. 

The lead roles have changed over the years as Connelly keeps the series (plural) moving forward. I thought the this was the 'Ballard" book so far. See for yourself - read an excerpt of The Waiting.

2 comments:

Kay said...

I love this series and am really excited about trying this new book! Thanks for sharing about it!

Luanne said...

Oh Kay you're going to love it!