Thursday, October 19, 2023

The Christmas Guest - Peter Swanson

Is it too early to start reading Christmas tales? Umm- no! I happily picked up Peter Swanson's yuletide novella, The Christmas Guest

Ashley Smith is far from home and is thrilled to be asked to spend Christmas at her British classmate's family home - Starvewood Hall. And she's even more thrilled when she meets Emily's handsome brother Adam. But...it's not quite the perfect Christmas Ashley had imagined.

I loved the setting - an old, cold family manor that has seen better days. But that's the charm of it for Ashley. Other Gothic devices are present as well - spooky woods, a small village, a pub, secretive hosts and more.

Much of Ashely's storytelling for Ashley is done through her 'dear diary'. She's a faithful scribe. I was a little complacent as I started the novella and finished part one. Part two brings a completely unexpected (but quite appreciated) plotline to The Christmas Guest! I'll let you discover what I mean!

The Christmas Guest is the perfect stocking stuffer for a friend or relative who loves mysteries and murder. Or for yourself! Read an excerpt of The Christmas Guest. (112 pages) And be sure to read the author's note at the end of the novella - Why I Wrote the Christmas Guest. 

2 comments:

Ethan said...

I'm really looking forward to reading this one soon! I've also got Janice Hallett's The Christmas Appeal set to go soon.

Luanne said...

And I just finished the Christmas Appeal! Review to come. Ethan, we really do have the same tastes!