Thursday, December 15, 2022

The Key to My Heart - Lia Louis

The Key to My Heart is the third novel from British author Lia Louis.

Natalie Fincher's life was upended when her beloved husband Russ unexpectedly passed away. All the plans they made, the dreams they had - gone. Two and a half years, Nat is still struggling with the loss. Her friends mean well, but she's just not ready to date again. She works, gets out once in a while, but the only high point is anonymously playing the piano in the train station.

When sheet music that seems directed specifically at Natalie starts appearing at the piano, she is intrigued, interested, excited even...

The Key to My Heart starts off slowly, matching Natalie's mood, demeanor and circumstances. Additional players are added to the cast. Everyone needs a Shauna - the wise, caring woman at the café in the train station. Natalie is not the only regular. There are others, all with their own stories. Slowly but surely, new friendships, relationships and more are built. But is Nat ready for more?

I liked Natalie and appreciated the care Louis afforded to depicting the loss of a partner and the aftermath. The emotions and feelings were believably portrayed. The supporting players each have a role and round out the novel. 

Louis has a penned a novel of love, loss and finding a way forward. Music plays a large part in the book. And is the impetus for the cute title. 

I chose to listen to The Key to My Heart. Some books just translate better for me when I listen. And such was the case with this novel. I became easily immersed in Nat's world. The reader was Victoria Fox and did a great job with presenting Louis's book. She has a pleasant accent and is easily understood. She has easily captured the emotions of the plot with her voice. I did find the speed of the speaking a bit slow for me, so I sped it up to .09. A lovely listen of a thoughtful, well written book. Hear for yourself - listen to an audio excerpt of The Key to My Heart. 

No comments: