Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Livid - Patricia Cornwell

I really enjoyed Autopsy, Patricia Cornwell's last Scarpetta novel. The publisher described the book as a 'relaunch' of this long running series, taking Kay Scarpetta back to her roots in Virginia as the state's Chief Medical Examiner. I thought it was a great read and I was looking forward to the next entry in this series. 

Well, it's here. Livid (#26)  has just released and it's a great read!

Livid opens with Kay giving evidence at a contentious trial. The trial is being telecast and the prosecutor is putting on one heck of a performance. (I was livid on Kay's behalf!) Bu the day isn't over yet for Kay - she's called to a death that has ties to the case. 

The recurring, supporting cast all seem to have an interest in the death as well. Cornwell has kept the characters moving forward in life with successes and sadness. Kay's Secret Service forensic psychologist husband Benton, her FBI niece Lucy and my personal favorite - Pete Marino, who works for/with Kay. The relationship between Kay and Marino was contentious in the beginning of the series, but I'm happy with where Cornwell has taken Marino in this latest. He's a valuable resource instead of being portrayed as a thorn in her side. However there is a new thorn in the side character. Kay has inherited a secretary who is loyal to the old boss and quite resentful of Kay.

The plotting is wonderful, with no obvious whodunit. I love not being able to figure out an ending until it's revealed. Facets of the crime had me going on line to see if a piece of weaponry that comes up in the case was futuristic or already here. The answer is quite frightening. Livid takes place over the course of a few days with another body being added to Kay's caseload.

What I've always enjoyed with the Scarpetta books are the detailed forensics. I'm fascinated by how the smallest discovery can provide clues. 

Cornwell's writing makes for addictive reading with lots of action, lots of head butting from many sources, unexpected turns, revelations and more. There are pockets of domestic life that let us see Kay as more than her job. In a few past books, I found there was too much, but the ratio is spot on in these last two books. 

There's a sense of completion and satisfaction at the end - but the door is open for the next entry. Which I will be waiting for! And while this is a series, it can absolutely be read as a stand alone. See for yourself - read an excerpt of Livid. 

2 comments:

Mystica said...

I do like her books. Ive readthem all. Didnt know about this new one. Thanks for the review

Luanne said...

Thanks for reading Mystica. I really liked this one - hope you do as well!