Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Haven - Emma Donoghue

Emma Donoghue is a brilliant writer and I always look forward to her newest book. And that would be the just released, Haven.

I've enjoyed every book she's penned, but I find myself most drawn to the historical pieces, as they are based on or take their inspiration from fact. In this case its Skellig Michael - home to a Gaelic monastery that was founded between the 6th and 8th centuries.

Haven tells the story of three monks set out to find an isolated, never settled island to build their own monastery. Their Prior is Artt - a visitor to an established community. He has a dream and asks the monastery for two monks to accompany him - the elderly Cormac, and the younger Trian. 

Their journey is not easy and the reader can see where there be strife. They land on a rocky, barren island that seems inhospitable, but Artt has faith that God will provide for them. His goals, intents and actions are obediently taken as God's word by the other two. But, there are cracks in the foundation.

Haven is a story of faith and survival, both of which are tried many times. I found the survival thread to be fascinating. How do you survive when there's nothing there? Or is there? Cormac and Trian's skillsets were unexpected and underline what a human can and will do to survive. I very much liked these two. However, I can't say the same for Artt. His motives, his inner dialogue and his sanctimonious attitude really rubbed me the wrong way. This will be the character that will prompt readers to form their own thoughts on the theological themes and threads in Haven.

The ending was satisfying to me. I was on the fence about  a piece of the plot that I could see coming. But after letting it sit with me for awhile, I decided it fit with what had gone before. It speaks to faith, acceptance, and survival. (I know that's quite cryptic, but I don't want to provide spoilers.)

For me, Haven was another great read from Donoghue. 


2 comments:

Ethan said...

I just finished this one as well. I agree that her writing rarely disappoints, and I love that she can get me to read stories I probably wouldn't approach otherwise.

Luanne said...

Her writing is so good Ethan. And I agree, she writes something different, but intriguing every time.