Friday, June 15, 2018

You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover # 215

- You can't judge a book by its cover - which is very true. 
But you can like one cover version better than another....

US cover
UK cover
I love Val McDermid's crime writing. The fifth book in her
Karen Pirie series releases in August in the UK and in December in NA. The US cover is on the left and the UK cover is on the right. And it's on my TBR list. So, we have landscapes on both covers, each with a single tree and water flowing by. The sky is mottled in both, but the time frame is slightly different. The moon has risen in the US cover, but the sun seems to have just set in the UK cover. The colour scheme is very dark in the US cover, while the UK dies have some greens and rusts. I'm a bit torn this week, but am going to go with the US cover. It says crime novel to me more than the UK cover. What about you? Any plans to read Broken Ground? Which cover do you prefer this week?
You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World.

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I don't love either one but agree with you on the colors of the US cover.

Kay said...

I think I will go with the US cover this week too. It seems more ominous with the sepia tones. And the moon. Have you read books in this series? I keep meaning to. Have read others by Val McDermid and loved them.

Icewineanne said...

Love both covers, but overall my pick is the UK cover. The river is more prominent & i do enjoy the use of colour on this one. Val McD is a favourite so I will definitely pick this one up :)
Cheers!

Luanne said...

Looks like US is the choice this week so far.

I agree Bermudaonion - neither is a standout.

Kay, I try to read everything she writes. But, I admit - the Tony Hill/Carol Jordan books are my faves.

Icewineanne - you really can't miss with a McDermid book - it'll be a good read.