Thursday, October 21, 2010

Over the Counter #26

The latest books to catch my eye this week as they passed over the counter and under my scanner are both quilt related - my second favourite thing - after books!

The first one is The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird.

From the publisher Krause Publications:

"In 1922, the very popular The Farmer's Wife magazine held a contest asking a simple question: "Would you want your daughter to marry a farmer?" Author Laurie Hird has excerpted 55 of the top letters and using these letters as inspiration, she created 111 traditional 6" quilt blocks and created a tribute quilt. Each block is fully illustrated and comes with complete cutting templates on the bonus CD. In addition, she provides complete quiltmaking instructions for the queen-sized sampler quilt with all 111 blocks, as well as instruction on converting the quilt to lap, twin, double and king sizes."



And the second one is The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns by Jinny Beyer.

From the publisher Breckling Press:

"This visual encyclopedia of quilt block designs provides quilters, designers, researchers and patchwork enthusiasts with a comprehensive tool for finding, identifying, and drafting more than 4050 unique block designs. World-renowned quilter Jinny Beyer has categorized the designs in a way that eliminates duplicates and allows quilters to understand exactly how each block is successfully pieced. Jinny has analyzed all designs in terms of the grid on which they are drawn, making it easy for quilters to recreate the blocks in any size or color scheme desired. Imagine-more than 4050 unique designs to choose from for your next quilt!"

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But... I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

3 comments:

Marie said...

Great covers, eh? They'd certainly get my attention. I love quilts, too, unfortunately, I'm not a great quilter. I try, though. ;)

bermudaonion said...

I bet those books are gorgeous!

Mystica said...

I love the look of those books but I am also an amateur quilter still. I like to read about them though.