Monday, October 7, 2024

Uglies - Scott Westerfeld

Well hello Scott Westerfeld! I was quite happy to spend the weekend with you. Wait, that's not quite right...I spent the weekend listening to the audiobook of Uglies. I loved it!

I am a big fan of dystopian fiction. It's always intriguing to see what an author has created in their version of the future. In Uglies, Tally is looking forward to her 16th birthday - as that's the day she gets her surgeries - to be pretty. And then all she is to do is have fun. Her friend Shay doesn't want to "be pretty" and she leaves the enclave to see what's out there...

This was the setting I was keen to hear more about. I always take the time to mentally draw the settings and compare to our world and the path we're taking. 

The characters are well drawn and engaging. Tally will keep you on your toes as the story unfolds. I quite liked David who lives 'out there'. There's a great supporting cast. And though I had partially guessed what might happen next, I couldn't stop listening. And when I listened the last chapter, I just wanted to get my hands on the second book!

I chose to listen to Uglies and that was a great choice. The narrator was Brianne Tju and her performance was perfect. Her 'teen' voice is believable. Her speaking is clear and easy on the ears. She has easily captured the action, emotions and the tenor of Westerfeld's work with her voice. I've said it before, I feel more immersed a story when I listen. This was the case with Uglies. Hear for yourself - listen to an audio excerpt.  An easy five stars. 

(Uglies is now available on a streaming service. Brianne Tju plays Shay in the film.)

No comments: