Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Women of Good Fortune - Sophie Wan

Sophie Wan's debut novel - Women of Good Fortune - is newly released.

The cover and description of the book caught my eye  - but it was the characters that kept me turning pages.

Shanghai, China is the setting.  Rian, Lulu and Jane are the best of friends. They get together regularly to commiserate about their lives. Customs, societal expectations, family pressure, women's hopes versus what will happen and more. But what if...

Oh, I quite liked all three of the women. They're three very different personalities. Each of them is given a voice with their own chapters and we come to know them better. Wan has does a great job creating the women. 

Now...what about that 'what if'. I'm just going to put this out there - heist! I am a sucker for a good heist. I'll leave you to discover the details of this one.

As the book progresses, the outlooks of the three change. And its not quite what the women expected. Me either. But it's absolutely a perfect ending.

What a great debut novel! I would happily pick up Wan's next title!

No comments: