Monday, November 27, 2023

There Should Have Been Eight - Nalini Singh

I adore 'locked room' mysteries. I think that author Nalini Singh does as well! Her new novel - There Should Have Been Eight - starts out with a get together of old friends - minus one.

What else does a locked room tale need? A 'been in the family for decades' old pile. Complete with hidden rooms. Oh, and it has a burned out wing. And....it's also way out on it's own, far from the village. Mobile signal? Good luck with that. A perfect setting. Loved it.

Our lead character is Luna. She her own issues, but isn't ready to share with the others just yet. She's also a photographer which works well for this character. I really liked her personally, her way of looking at things, her thoughts, and her decisions. The others are a mixed bag with many of them now coupled up. Lots of personalities. 

Singh tells her book in a now and then timeline fashion. Again, a style I like and appreciate. Readers  glean bits and bobs from the both time frames. Do they match? Do they remember it? Has someone got their own agenda? Who can we trust as readers? For me, they're all suspects. I started to narrow down my choice for 'whodunit' as the end drew near. I was (happily) surprised by a great gotcha. 

Suspense is the name of the game in this book. It kept me interested and and invested from first page to last! I would happily pick up another book from Nalini Singh. See for yourself - read an excerpt of There Should Have Been Eight.

No comments: