Monday, November 20, 2023

Class - Stephanie Land

Star studded tell-alls are of no interest to me. Instead I find myself invariably drawn to memoirs of everyday people. The struggles and the triumphs - and real life.

Stephanie Land's first book, Maid, was a runaway bestseller. I thought it was a fabulous read. I was eager to listen to Land's new book - Class.

Land's desire to be a writer and the love she has for her daughter were the driving forces in pursuing that goal. Class brings us the next chapter - life while raising a young child, working as a cleaner, attending a four year college, homework, hunger, childcare and more. All from the under the poverty line.

Land's determination is so inspiring. She gets knocked down but keeps getting up. Trying to find her way through the byzantine agencies that seem to contradict each other. Facing judgment at school, at work and in society. Being judged as a mother and a woman by those who have no idea what she's struggling with. Now, that's not everyone, but there are enough.

I like the honesty of Land's work and not making it all 'pretty'. I don't think memoirs can be rated or judged. Each of us has their own way of doing things, achieving goals and living. I appreciate Stephanie Land's sharing of her journey. So far. I wonder if there will be another chapter? I hope so! Definitely recommended. 

I listened to Class. What a treat it is to listen to an author read their work. Even more so when the book is a memoir. All the emotions, reactions, thoughts, situations etc. were lived by Land. The listener can feel and appreciate that intimacy as she reads. She speaks clearly and odd as it sounds - for me, her voice matched her image.  I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I often find I often feel much more immersed in a book when I listen. Hear for yourself - listen to an audio excerpt of Class. 

2 comments:

Mystica said...

Thank you for the review

Luanne said...

Thanks for reading Mystica!