Monday, May 1, 2023

The Last Remains - Elly Griffiths

Elly Griffiths is hands down one of my favorite authors. She has written more than one series, but the Ruth Galloway books are dear to me. The Last Remains is the fifteenth book - and from what I've read - the last in the series. At least for now. Fingers crossed.

When a skeleton is found behind a bricked up wall, Dr. Ruth Galloway is called in to again help the local police. As always, the plot is wonderfully constructed and enjoyably solved. There's more than one candidate for the whodunit and I was kept guessing until the final pages. 

The setting of this series is the Norfolk area of England. It's rich in history, both tangible and verbal. I've enjoyed learning more about this setting over the years. It sounds so very beautiful. I've often thought that I would be quite happy living on the moors by the sea in Ruth's little cottage. 

Sitting down with the latest book is like sitting down with old friends. Their lives move forward with every entry and I'm always curious to see what's going on with them all. And those of you who have followed this series from book one will know what I'm talking about...Nelson and Ruth. The back and forth 'Will they or won't they' has been the question with every book. And one that is never fully answered - until now. No worries! I'm not telling! I must admit that my favorite supporting character has always been Cathbad, the self proclaimed Druid. His outlook on life is unique and well, mystical. And has been right in many ways in many situations over the years. He is again involved in this latest case.

Ruth herself has been a great protagonist - true to herself, intelligent and talented. Her inner dialogue reveals her insecurities and doubts which only make her more realistic. You will be missed Ruth. 


If you haven't discovered this series yet, I encourage you to start with the first book, The Crossing Places.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Probably my favorite series. I certainly hope Griffiths is merely taking a break from these characters, but if not, the book ended well.

Luanne said...

I agree with you - I adore this series. I am hoping there may be something down the road....