Monday, January 9, 2023

The House of Wolves - James Patterson and Mike Lupica

James Patterson and co-writer Mike Lupica's latest collaboration is The House of Wolves. It was a page turner for me and I devoured it in a couple of days.

What's it about? Well, let's talk dysfunctional families. When Joe Wolf is murdered, his three sons expect to inherit and take control of Joe's empire. But when the will is read, it's their sister Jenny will now be in charge of it all - including the Wolves - a California NFL football team. Uh huh....it doesn't sit well with her brothers at all.

That's just from the first few chapters. What follows is a deadly game between the siblings. And others. Patterson and Lupica have done a fabulous job with the twists, turns and the 'oh my gosh, didn't see that coming' moments. And there are a lot. Not one character in the book is telling the truth. There's no way to predict which direction the plot is going to take. I really like being unable to predict how a book is going to unfold. 

Jenny is a great lead - smart, savvy and strong. I was behind her all the way. But, she too kept me on my toes. To reiterate - they all lie. As readers, we see the book unfold through Jenny's point of view. 

Now, we know that James Patterson writes suspense thrillers - and does it well. Add Mike Lupica's name to that list. Lupica is a sportswriter and The House of Wolves benefits greatly from his insider knowledge. Although I don't faithfully watch football, I do understand the game. Lupica brings the reader on to the turf, inside the dressing room and into the meeting rooms where deals are made and broken. He's also written many fiction titles himself. 

This duo have penned an excellent story, one that kept me engaged from first page to last. See for yourself - read an excerpt of The House of Wolves.

This comparison from the publisher is quite apt...a family more ruthless than Succession's Roys and Yellowstone’s Duttons."

No comments: