Friday, January 13, 2023

Just the Nicest Couple - Mary Kubica

I've enjoyed previous books from Mary Kubica, but I think her latest - Just the Nicest Couple is hands down my favorite!

Lily loves walking in a certain park. A chance encounter with a coworker's husband, (Jake) at the park is the catalyst for what follows. 

Jake's wife Nina confides in Lily at school the next day. She and Jake had a serious argument and he didn't come home the night before. Lily goes home and tells her husband Christian of the encounter with Jake - and what happened. Christian is madly in love with his wife and would do anything for her...

I am being deliberately obtuse here. Why? Because how this plot plays out is so darkly delicious, making for simply addicting reading.

As Christian and Lily think they've dealt with one thing, another issue pops up, compounding the mess this has become. And with every day that passes without a word from Jake, Nina doesn't know what to think.

As readers, we are privy to what is happening on both sides of the fence as Christian and Nina each have a point of view. Kubica gives us lots of twists and turns, along with some red herrings on the way to the final 'ah ha" moment. (nicely done!) There's one last chapter that ties everything up. I'm not sure I liked all of the resolutions, but that's a minor thing and didn't detract from my enjoyment.

4 comments:

Mystica said...

Liked your review. Thanks will belooking out for this one

Luanne said...

Thanks Mystica - I hope you can get your hands on a copy!

Harvee said...

I have seen this book around. Hope you enjoy it!

Luanne said...

Hey Harvee - I did enjoy it!