Thursday, November 28, 2019

The Guardians - John Grisham

John Grisham is a very talented writer, but I must admit - I've found his last few books to be 'just okay' reads. But, this latest release, The Guardians, is absolutely fantastic! It felt like a return to his roots, if you will. It's easily one of my fave reads for 2019.

I really liked the lead character - Cullen Post. He's a lawyer and a minister. He and a skeleton staff run Guardian Ministries. Their mandate is to overturn wrongful convictions, to release the innocent who have spent years behind bars for crimes they did not commit. Limited resources means they only take a few cases at a time.

Their latest case is that of Quincy Miller, who has spent over twenty years in prison for the murder of a lawyer. Their are many flaws in the case, but as Post investigates, he realizes that there are those still around who don't want this case - or Quincy - to see the light of day.

I loved the premise! It's not a new idea, but Grisham executes it so very well. A combination of investigation and legal maneuvers kept me thoroughly engrossed from start to finish. There are other smaller cases and some personal moments along the way that only added to the book.

I'd love to see more of Post and his team - I feel like there are so many more stories and cases that could be told by Guardian Ministries. On reading the author's notes at the end of the book, I learned that the plot of The Guardians is based on an actual case.

The Guardians was an excellent read and an easy five stars. Read an excerpt of The Guardians.

No comments: