Thursday, August 1, 2019

Layover - David Bell

I was intrigued by the premise of David Bell's latest novel Layover.

Frequent flyer Joshua is killing time before his next flight when he meets a woman named Morgan. She is attractive and enigmatic and Joshua finds himself attracted to her. Even more so when she kisses him. She leaves to catch her flight.....and Joshua sees her face pop up on the television news - she's a missing person. Joshua decides to find her. But his imaginings of what might be aren't quite what he finds.

I was also curious as to why she was missing and why she was running. But here's the first thing that stood in the way of me loving this book. I had a very hard time believing that Joshua would abandon his job, miss his flight and go chasing after a woman he had few drinks with and one kiss. Believing the earth shattering attraction he feels towards Morgan was a bit of stretch for me. His immediate infatuation just said stalker to me. And even as we learn more about Morgan and her reasons, she just never coalesced into a character I cared about - or even liked for that matter. The why's - once I learned them - left me a bit flat as well. The only character I liked was the police detective. Although her sharing of information with Joshua seemed unprofessional and not likely to happen in a police investigation.

The chapters are short and this makes for a quick read. One that would kill time on a flight. Here's an excerpt of Layover.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I think I would have trouble suspending disbelief with that storyline too.

Luanne said...

Yes, it was just too much....