Wednesday, August 6, 2014

We Were Liars - E. Lockhart

http://www.emilylockhart.com/ E. Lockhart's latest book We Were Liars is one of this summer's hottest YA titles - although it will appeal to adults as well.

My adult daughter brought it to the cottage to read this summer on the recommendation of a friend and she really enjoyed it. So, I picked up the audio version for the commute back and forth to work.

The publisher's synopsis says it all:

"A beautiful and distinguished family. A private island. A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy. A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive. A revolution. An accident. A secret. Lies upon lies. True love. The truth."

Our narrator is Cadence, one of the Liars. She is struggling to remember what happened that summer, but can't quite put the pieces together.....

Lockhart is very clever. After the final chapter,  I realized that much is revealed along the way if you pay close attention. There are fairy tales interspersed that also mirror real life. Pay attention to these as well. I must admit to figuring out the twist before the final pages, but still really enjoyed the story. But, to say anymore would be to spoil the book.

I chose to listen to We Were Liars. The reader was Ariadne Meyers. Her voice was totally believable as a teenager. She captured the confusion of Cady well. She provided different voices for numerous characters that suited and were easy to differentiate. Her voice was clear and easy to understand. You can listen to an excerpt here. Or if you prefer, you can read an excerpt of We Were Liars.

This was a good read, with a nice twist, but I'm in the minority I think - I wasn't completely blown away.

You can follow E. Lockhart on Twitter.

1 comment:

Visit my site for Ipe Decking for sale said...

Wow wow wow. Just phenomenal. Finished it days ago and still feel like I'm being sucked back into the Sinclair's lives. Heartbreaking, extraordinary, brilliant... Read this book! You will not regret it. Well, you might at first. But in the best way. Read it with someone because you will want someone to talk to about it. I will never forget this book.