Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Notorious - Allison Brennan

Allison Brennan is a prolific author and her books get taken out quite often at the library. But Notorious, is the first book I've read by this best selling author.

Notorious is the first book in the Max Revere series. Max is an investigative reporter with her own cold case television show. She'll head anywhere in the country to tackle those unsolved murders. One case she's never been able to solve is the death of her childhood friend Lindy. Max heads back to her hometown to attend a funeral. While at the airport she is approached by a couple who beg her to look into their son's death as well. Max agrees and also starts re-looking at Lindy's case as well.

Brennan has come up with two good whodunits that had me interested. But here's the problem - I didn't like the investigator. At all. Brennan has written Max as a very tough, strong personality, which, on paper would seem to work for a reporter. But for this reader, it just didn't make the leap.  I just found her obnoxious, pushy, rude and self absorbed with an 'anything you can do I can do better' chip on her shoulder. The annoying dialogue and sanctimonious attitude only increased as the book progressed and had me gritting my teeth by the end.

The main plotting of Notorious was just fine and I did read to the end to see the final reveal. But I was glad to turn the final page on Max Revere. Established fans of Allison Brennan will most likely enjoy this book. Read an excerpt of Notorious. You can find Allison Brennan on Facebook and Twitter.

No comments: