Thursday, December 26, 2013

Over the Counter #194

What books caught my eye this week as they passed over the library counter and under my scanner? Maybe you're travelling this week. Here are a couple of travel guides - but with a bit of a difference.....

First up was Cooks, Clowns and Cowboys: 101 Skills and Experiences to Discover on Your Travels from Lonely Planet.

"You know the question’s coming: what did you do on your holiday? Master the experiences in Cooks, Clowns and Cowboys and you can reply:

I created a perfume in France.
I danced the flamenco in Seville.
I mixed the perfect martini in New York.
I earned my cosmonaut stripes in Russia.
I rode with cowboys in Argentina.

Saddle up for a new you, and come back from your travels with more than just a suntan."

Next up was Off Track Planet's Travel Guide for the Young, Sexy and Broke.

From the publisher, Running Press Books:

"This all-encompassing travel guide features approximately 100 exciting destinations like Buenos Aires, Brazil, Columbia, Greece, and Thailand, and everything college students, grads, and those in their twenties and thirties want to know about them, including: the cities with the craziest sex shops; the best places to get a tattoo; where to check out some amazing street art; why you should try fried bugs; the best clubs to party until dawn; and much more. Broken into three parts, the first section focuses on what to do and where: food, fashion, music, sports, sex and partying, and more. The second half of the book dives into practical tips and advice on budgeting, hostels, and transportation, and the third section offers great ideas about extending your stay. Entertaining and informative, this lively guide also includes fun charts and graphs and 100 to 150 full-color photos throughout."

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come to the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But...I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

1 comment:

ChristasBooks said...

The guide for the "young, sexy and broke" sounds hilarious. I'll have to check it out next time I'm bit by the travel bug