Thursday, January 12, 2012

Over the Counter #92

This slim little volume caught my eye this week as it passed over my library counter and under my scanner. Beard - photographs by Matthew Rainwaters.

From the publisher Chronicle Books:

"Hundreds of bearded men strutted their stuff at the World Beard and Moustache Championships in Anchorage, Alaska, and photographer Matthew Rainwaters was there to capture it all. This resulting collection of portraits features the bushiest, most stylish, and downright weirdest beards from around the world. Taken straight on, the photographs are stark and stunning—the beards speak for themselves. Alongside the images are essays by several of the championship competitors, including $teven Ra$pa and his beard Prepostero. A magnificent showcase of chops, bristles, and whiskers, this book belongs on the shelf of any true facial hair connoisseur."

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But... I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

3 comments:

carol said...

What an odd book, but I have to admit I curious now- weird beards and essays by the people who actually grow them.

bermudaonion said...

That is interesting, but I'm not sure it's for me. lol

Luanne said...

Carol - it's a serious 'sport' to the growers!

Kathy - It's a slim book - not more than 30 minutes read, but definitely different.