Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The House of Silk - Anthony Horowitz

Once I discovered Sherlock Holmes in my younger years, I devoured every tale, fascinated with Holmes' powers of observation and deductions.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle died in 1930. The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz is the first time a new Holmes story has been sanctioned by his estate.

I started to listen to the book with, I must admit, with more than a little trepidation. Would it do justice to Doyle's characters? Would the story have the same 'feel'?

1890's London England. Sherlock Holmes is called in by an art dealer who fears a member of the Flat Cap Gang has followed him from America to Britain and means him harm. Aided by the trusty Dr. John Watson, Holmes begins investigating - aided by the young Baker Street Irregulars. One of the boys ends up dead - and the case leads to places and people that believe they're untouchable. And really you don't need much more of the plot, as it truly is a Sherlock tale. Horowitz has done a fantastic job of recapturing the tone of previous works - the back and forth between Holmes and Watson, the clues and deductions, the Victorian settings and more.

As I mentioned, I chose to listen to the audio version. And am I ever glad I did!  Derek Jacobi did a simply amazing job. His voice is so expressive and rich and captured completely the tone of the story and the characters.

The House of Silk is climbing up bestseller lists  - and with good reason.  Definitely recommended.

Listen to an excerpt of The House of Silk or read an excerpt.


Mystica said...

Thank you for the review.

bermudaonion said...

I'm so glad this is good - I gave it as a Christmas gift!

Luanne said...

You're welcome Mystica.

Kathy - I think it was a good pick - I can't see anyone not enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

I love Sherlock! If you're interested, there is a British show called Sherlock that is set in modern times. It's on Netflix at the moment. Each season is only 3 episodes long but take 1.5 hours. It is really entertaining. (I just found it a few days ago so I am still really excited about it).

Luanne said...

Anonymous - too funny! I actually just borrowed series one from my library - I'm looking forward to watching it this week!