Thursday, October 27, 2011

Over the Counter #81

With Hallowe'en not too far off,  A Zombie Ate My Cupcake by Lily Jones (aka Lily Vanilli) caught my eye this week as it passed over my library counter and under my scanner.

From Cico Books:

"Cupcakes are getting their revenge! After being banished for so long to the land of the pretty and identical, the domestic and the twee, cupcakes are biting back. Here, Lily Vanilli shows how you can take inspiration from anywhere, insects, roadkill, zombies and recreate it in cake, but always with a delicious result. This book is an introduction to making cakes that look weird, ugly, and even grotesque but that taste divine! There are amazing materials for making edible sculptures and hundreds of things you can do with natural ingredients. Give guests a shock with revoltingly realistic Marzipan Beetles, or add a crunch to your desserts with Morbid Meringue Bones, dipped in raspberry blood sauce. Try out a black cherry Dracula's Bite red velvet cupcake with cream cheese, eat your way through heavenly Fallen Angel Cakes, or go for indulgent and truly dark chocolate Devils Delight Cupcakes. If Ozzy Osbourne made cupcakes, these are the ones he'd want to eat."

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But... I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

No comments: