Friday, January 16, 2009

The Little Giant of Aberdeen County - Tiffany Baker

This debut novel from Tiffany Baker is newly released from Hachette Books. What a stunning first novel!

Covers are often enough to make me want to read a book. I loved this one. But the opening paragraph cinched the deal...

"The day I laid Robert Morgan to rest was remarkable for two reasons. First, even though it was August, the sky overhead was as rough and cold as a January lake; and second, it was the day I started to shrink."

We know the ending, but what led to this point?

The entire town is gathered outside her parent's home the day Truly Plaice is born. Her mother had grown so big, bets were being laid on the size of what would surely be a strapping boy. The local doctor Robert Morgan delivers a girl and she is abnormally large. Her mother dies in childbirth. Her father isn't quite sure what to make of her - she is much different from her delicate sister Serena Jane. Truly continues to grow and grow. She is teased and scorned and just never 'fits'. She does make two friends - others who don't fit the mold either - Marcus and Amelia

This Dr. Robert Morgan is the fourth in his family to be the town's doctor. He is descended from Tabitha Dyerson, who was the town's original healer. Her book of cures is mythical in the town and never was found. Without giving away too much of the plot, circumstances lead to inextricable intertwinings between the Morgans and the Plaices.

The book is written from Truly's point of view - detailing her hurt, anger and desires. Although this led me to know Truly very well, it only gave one viewpoint of events and other characters. I would have enjoyed hearing what Marcus, Amelia and Serena Jane actually thought, not Truly's take on things.

The tone of this book is almost magical and fairy tale in feel. Baker has a gift with words, painting vivid descriptions.

"Even his narrow prowling walk told you he was a man of limitless appetite- hungry all the time and yet never filled all the way up."

I started this book and really could not put it down. It's unique and captivating. Baker is a fresh new voice on the fiction front. I look forward to her second novel.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read this! Thanks for your review.

Darlene said...

Nice review Luanne. I really enjoyed this book. I agree on the magical, fairy tale feel of it. That was one of it's biggest appeals for me I think.

Bonnie said...

I have this book on my TBR pile and can't wait to read it. I skimmed your review as I didn't want to read too much before I read it. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it! I'll check back after I read it.

Anonymous said...

I want to read this so badly but never can snag a copy. I entered your James Patterson audio 3 times by commenting, becoming a follower, and posting about your site and contest on my new 10 day old site. I hope you stop by to visit. I have a contest for an autographed copy of CREEPERS ending Friday..and of course, it is my first! Thanks! Bingo from http://bookinwithbingo.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Not to be a pest but your comment about being in a panic if you don't always have a book with you or pile by your bed is ME! My husband thinks I am crazy as I take my book EVERYWHERE. What if I wind up in a line, or heaven forbid, ill or waiting for someone in an emergency room and didn't have my book? Or finish a book in the middle of the night? Then what?! I so relate!

Adele said...

great review, intriguing idea for a novel.

Ladytink_534 said...

Normally I wouldn't look twice at this one but SO many people have enjoyed it that I'll admit to being curious!

Anna said...

This one's in my TBR pile. I've heard such good things about it, and I can't wait to get to it. Great review!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Eva @ One Swede Read said...

Thanks for the review. I too have been very intrigued by the cover. I'm glad to hear it was good, so that I can put it on my wishlist!

Serena said...

this book is in my TBR pile, can't wait to read this one

Yolanda said...

i loved this book so much. I am glad you liked it too.