Thursday, December 7, 2023

The Fourth Rule - Jeff Lindsay

Jeff Lindsay has created some great lead characters in his books. I devoured the Dexter series, but somehow missed the Riley Wolfe series. I've since caught up with the latest entry - The Fourth Rule. This is a series, but can absolutely be read as a stand alone. 

Like Dexter, our lead character Riley lives on the other side of the law - as a thief. But not any old thief. Sometimes its just to see if he can steal the unstealable. And sometimes it's a paid job. The word heist comes to mind and I truly adore heist books and films.

The Fourth Rule is told in first person. The reader feels like Riley is recounting a tale to us and we're privy to all the details.

One of those details are the self made rules that Riley operates under. Number four? "Even if you're the best there is, watch your back. Because somebody better is coming." Riley has an ego, but it's been earned. But - for how much longer? 

Lindsay has a great (and devious) imagination when it comes the heists. I love the details that surround the thefts and the sheer audacity of the attempts. Oh, his disguises as well. Improbable? That's the fun of heist tales - to do what they say can't be done.

I'm going to leave things there as I don't want to provide spoilers. The Fourth Rule was inventive, lots of fun and made for easy, addictive reading. And a great last chapter that hints at the future. Maybe...

2 comments:

Ethan said...

I've read the first two books and really enjoyed them. I actually think this is a stronger series than even Dexter was. I need to catch up on the latest installments!

Luanne said...

I'll read the next book for sure as well.