Friday, April 21, 2023

How to Kill Men and Get Away With It - Katy Brent


The title of the book gives you a pretty good idea of what the plot might entail. And this short quote from the publisher says it all...

"He was following me. That guy from the nightclub who wouldn’t leave me alone. I hadn’t intended to kill him of course. But I wasn’t displeased when I did and, despite the mess I made, I appeared to get away with it.

That’s where my addiction started…I’ve got a taste for revenge and quite frankly, I’m killing it.”  Uh huh, this isn't a one time thing.
 
Kitty is our  protagonist. She’s an influencer with a wealth of followers. Her inner dialogue is sharp and biting and darkly humorous at times. Her cadre consists of other wealthy influencers - with fewer followers, of course. 

Kitty forms her own sense of justice and revenge, making herself judge and jury. Until she makes a mistake. But it’s hard to not see why she’s doing what she does. Lots of food for thought.

I think I went into this book expecting more of a lighter Finley Donovan vibe. This one instead got a little bit too dark for me. Closer to Dexter instead. Kitty delights in killing and her disposal methods. Kitty has some issues herself beyond her penchant for killing. 

I'm not sure if the author was going for dark humour, satire or a blend? I finished the book, but felt it was too much in a number of ways for me. 

I am in the minority for this title - I encourage you to check out the five star reviews on Goodreads.  

See for yourself - read an excerpt of How To Kill Men and Get Away With It.  There will be some triggers for gentle readers.

2 comments:

Harvee said...

I thought it would be a comedy too, when I asked for and got it. Now I'm rethinking it and may not read it after all.

https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/

Luanne said...

Hey Harvee, I'd be curious to hear what you think after a few chapters...