Tuesday, March 14, 2023

I Will Find You - Harlan Coben

Harlan Coben is hands down, one of my favourite authors. I eagerly await every new book. And then despite my plan to savour it slowly - I end up binge reading late into the night. This latest book, I Will Find You is no exception!

Coben gives us a protagonist who, on first glance, looks like he should be the antagonist. David Burroughs has been in prison for the last five years for killing his three year old son, even though he swears he’s innocent. A chance picture of a boy who looks like young Matthew raises David’s hopes. Could his son be alive? 

I’m always behind a premise like this, where it’s David and Goliath battle. Can an everyday guy beat the odds? Prove his innocence? And in this case, find his son?

The tension starts in the first pages and just never lets up. Prison breaks, gangland bosses, shady wealthy families, old friends and foes, tendrils from the past and more is all woven into a non stop, edge of your seat, heart pounding plot. Did I mention the twisty turns that change the narrative? I was surprised every time!

And I have to mention the dialogue between the two FBI agents. It's a rapid patter that is actually quite funny.

Over the top? A wee bit, but just go with it - it’s such a great read. See for yourself - read an excerpt of I Will Find You.

Coben fans will enjoy the cameo of Hester Crimstein from the Wilde series. I can see this one coming to a screen.

2 comments:

Ethan said...

I just got an ARC of this one and am so excited to read it. Coben in one of those authors who I've always heard about but have never read. I can't wait to dive in!

Luanne said...

Oh Ethan you're going to love it!