Thursday, August 11, 2022

The Family Remains - Lisa Jewell

Lisa Jewell's new book, The Family Remains, is, to a certain degree, a follow up to her bestseller, The Family Upstairs. You could read this newest as a stand alone, but I think you'd get more out of it if you had the background from that first book. 

Quick recap:  Twenty five years ago, Libby was the baby found alive in a rundown manor, with three dead bodies in the house and two others missing. 

Present day: Rachel's husband Michael is found murdered in his house in France.

And these two disparate events will cross paths in unexpected ways. 

I think anyone who read The Family Upstairs, will be eager to find out what happened "after". I know I was!

This book is told in multiple timelines from multiple points of view. I had to refamiliarize myself with names from the past and match them up to the names they are using now.  

Jewell takes the reader on a twisty tale with a satisfying ending and closure for the players. I did find one reconciliation to be a bit of a letdown after it played such a large part in the plot. Somehow for me, it was too jolly. (Yes, an odd descriptor)

But overall, I quite enjoyed The Family Remains. Jewell always pens an addictive read. See for yourself - read an excerpt of The Family Remains. 

4 comments:

Harvee said...

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that The Family Remains was the second book in the series.

Luanne said...

Yes Harvee, it was nice to find out 'what happened after'. Hope you enjoy it!

Mystica said...

I just finished a Jewell book and found it fascinating (as always). The series is new to me.

Luanne said...

Mystica: I enjoy her books as well. I don't know if there will more than the two books.