Friday, July 22, 2022

Dark Objects - Simon Toyne

I've read and enjoyed previous books from Simon Toyne. But I could not stop listening to his latest book, Dark Objects. It's fantastic!

A cleaner is the one who finds the body of a wealthy woman, murdered in her upscale home. Her killing includes a message to someone, as there are very specific objects displayed around the body. One of those objects is a book titled 'How to Process a Murder' by Laughton Rees. Laughton is a forensics academic, but finds herself drawn into this live case. Working with her is DCI Tannahill Khan of the North London Murder Squad.

That's just the bare bones of the plot. There's so much more to this case with no predicting who, what, why. I loved the layers of storytelling, the dark and devious direction the plot went. And my personal favorite, a lovely twist that I didn't see coming. The addition of excerpts from Laughton's book, news articles and a neighborhood WhatsApp group add epistolary elements to the book. 

Toyne does a great job with his two lead characters. They're given detailed personal lives, especially Laughton. Her past figures greatly in the here and now. DCI Khan isn't a cookie cutter cop, he's somewhat quiet, but he's a clever and intuitive copper. There are many supporting characters that round out the viewpoints. Especially the tabloid journalist, Brian Slade, who would sell his soul for a story. Social issues such as knife crime, racism, bullying and more are woven into the book.

I'm truly hoping that this is the first in a series. I think Laughton and Tannahill have many more tales to tell...

I chose to listen to Dark Objects. The reader was Shazia Nicholls and her voice was just perfect for this book. She has a lovely low, gravelly, rich, full tone to her voice. He British accent is lovely. Her speaking is clear, easy to understand and is well modulated. The speaking speed is just right. Her voice has presence and suits the plot and characters. Nicholls interprets Toyne's book very well. I've said it before, but I'll say it again - I become so much more immersed in a book when I listen. And that was definitely the case with Dark Objects. Hear for yourself - listen to an excerpt of Dark Objects. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am currently reading Dark Objects. The best mystery of the year so far for me. There is a video on Simon Toyne's website.

Luanne said...

Thanks Unknown - I'll out the video. Yes, I agree it was a great mystery!

Kay said...

Another good one or it sounds like it. Will check to see if my library has this or I can access in others ways.

Luanne said...

I thought it was pretty good Kay - hope you can find a copy!