Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Find Me - Alafair Burke

I'm always excited to see that Alafair Burke has a new book coming out. But, I try not to read the synopsis beforehand. I know I'm going to enjoy whatever she's written - and I like a surprise. Well, that latest - Find Me - releases today. And it was as good as I knew it would be!

I've read all of Burke's novels and was thrilled to see that Ellie Hatcher was in Find Me. I've always hoped Burke would continue her story. But you don't have to have read the Hatcher books, as this latest can absolutely be read as a standalone. 

Fifteen years ago, Lindsay Kelly rescued a woman from a car crash. She survived, but has no memories of her life before she was found. She goes by the name of Hope. Lindsay is her best friend and is now a lawyer. Hope decides it's time to move out of the small town she's called home for the last fifteen years. Lindsay supports her, but is more than a little worried when she doesn't hear from Hope. And rightly so.....

Where does Ellie fit in you ask? Ahh.....those who will have read the Hatcher books will know about the case that led to her father's death. (And it won't detract from this book if you haven't!) How in the world could these two incidents be connected? Hampered by a cop who can't be bothered to do his job right, Lindsay and Ellie start to work the case themselves. 

Burke weaves seemingly unrelated incidents, occurrences and overlooked clues on the way to resolution. I couldn't predict what that resolution might be and happily joined the search for answers. The reader only knows what the two women do, so we can only hypothesize as the links to then and now start to  start to coalesce. And I loved that kick at the end!

Burke has given us some strong lead characters in Ellie (my fave) and Lindsay. Hope is a wild card and I had my reservations about her past....and her memory. There are a number of supporting players and at times I had to stop and think who was who.

Burke is a former Deputy District Attorney and is now a Professor of Law teaching criminal law and procedure. The plots of Burke's books are enhanced by the author's background and legal knowledge.

Another great read for me. See for yourself - read an excerpt of Find Me.

4 comments:

Kay said...

I've always meant to read Burke's Ellie series, but haven't as yet. Good to know that I could read this one without previous knowledge and that it wouldn't spoil her earlier books. Putting this one on the list and thanks!

Vicki said...

I haven't read anything by her. I think I will read one of her stand alone books this year.

Mystica said...

Had this author on my list of TBR and this has made me note this new one. Thanks for the review

Luanne said...

Hope you enjoy this one Kay!

I've enjoyed all of her titles Vicki - hope you do too.

Thanks for reading Mystica. Bet your TBR pile is teetering!