Friday, July 10, 2020

You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover #320

You can't judge a book by its cover - which is very true. 
But you can like one cover version better than another...

US cover
UK cover
Lauren Beukes's new novel Afterland has already released - and its definitely on my TBR list. I quite like apocalyptic tales. The US cover is on the left and the UK cover is on the right. Two very different looks this week - blue skies and a flower vs. what looks to be a catastrophic volcano/bomb/burning something.  Light vs. dark. Knowing the premise, I would say that the UK cover is closer to the story inside. But, I like the US cover too. I'm a sucker for bright pink. But with that flower, I would have been thinking 'break up story.' 
Both covers have a blurb from George R.R. Martin. Ahh, a tough call this week. For 'just because it catches the eye more', I'm going to go with the US cover. What about you? Which cover do you prefer? Have you read Afterland?
You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World.

5 comments:

Ethan said...

The UK cover definitely looks more apocalyptic.

Kay said...

I have not read it and don't know what it's about - will check on that. However, for me, I like the UK cover better. The pink is a little too cheerful - know what I mean? LOL

Luanne said...

I'm in the minority so far this week. UK is in the lead.

Icewineanne said...

Because it’s an apocalyptic story, the UK cover fits perfectly.
As you mentioned Luanne, the US cover reminds me much more of a romance. Most readers, looking for a dystopian novel, wouldn’t bother to glance at the US book based on the cover alone (unless they were familiar with the author).
Personally I don’t read this type of fiction but because we’re judging the covers, the UK gets my vote!

Luanne said...

And it's a UK win this week with Icewineanne also liking the UK cover.