Tuesday, September 3, 2019

The Turn of the Key - Ruth Ware

I absolutely love Ruth Ware's writing! I have been eagerly waiting for her newest - The Turn of the Key.

The cover image makes me wonder what's on the other side of the door and the title itself hints at things hidden away. The premise builds on that initial impression.....

Childcare worker Rowan is looking for a job change. When she sees an ad for a live in nanny for the Elincourt family, she applies - and to her surprise gets the job. One catch - she must start asap. Did I mention that Heatherbrae House is quite isolated out in the countryside? And that it is a 'smart' house - controlled by an app? A Gothic feel with a side of modern.

We know that something has gone very, very wrong right from the beginning of the book. Rowan is writing a letter to a lawyer, explaining what happened and I was caught up in the tale immediately.

Rowan is left in charge of the four daughters right away as Mr and Mrs Elincourt must travel to a convention for work. This was unexpected for Rowan. And the children do not seem to want her there. But is it just the children? The house seems to have a mind of its own as well.....

Ruth Ware is a master at building the suspense. Everyday occurrences take on a malevolent air - items misplaced, unexplained drafts and noises and more. The tension grows and grows - and I found myself mentally shouting at Rowan to just leave the house. The movie equivalent of don't go in the basement applies to the attic in this case.

Ware's description of the house made it easy to imagine the setting. Making the house a 'smart' house adds a layer and more questions to the story. I appreciated the many what if's and possibilities afforded by the isolation and the electronics - and the history of the house and previous nannies. Let alone the family - there are secrets in this house, and Rowan hints at one in her own as well.

The ending provides a twist - one I hadn't thought of, but the finale wasn't the outcome I had imagined.

I chose to listen to The Turn of the Key. Imogen Church was the reader and she was brilliant! Her interpretation of Rowan's fear, frustration and anger are so well done. Listening drew me into Rowan's state of mind and amplified the tension. The description of events was so creepy - I will never hear the word 'creak' again without hearing her voice. I simply couldn't stop listening. I've said it before and I'll say it again - listening immerses me in a book. And The Turn of the Key was a standout! Well done! Listen to an excerpt of The Turn of the Key.

8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I can't believe I haven't read Ware yet. I have this book so I have no excuses now.

Icewineanne said...

Excellent review (as always) Luanne. I’m a Ruth Ware fan too. Have all of her books, including this one, but now you’ve inspired me to also seek out the audio version of this. Imogen Church has such a beautiful voice. She was singing on one of those benefit concerts, I had never heard of her but bought the music dvd just for her 2 performances.
So glad you loved this one!

Kay said...

I have really liked the audios of all of Ruth Ware's books and will listen to this one as well. The whole 'smart' house thing is creepy in my opinion. I'm not a fan of all those 'looking/listening' things (at least for my home). I remember in Ruth Ware's first book, the creepiness of the glass house and how one felt that people could see you and were watching.

Luanne said...

Oh Bermudaonion - you must try one of her books!

Icewineanne - well as always, thank you!I've read and listened to her titles. They're all good, but I think I prefer the audio. And yes, Church is a phenomenal reader. Didn't know she was a singer as well!

Kay - At first I thought 'oh the smart house plotline. But it was only a supporting piece. You're going to love it! And glad to find someone else who loves the audio versions.

Dianna said...

I really liked this one! Wish I'd listened to it on audio.

Luanne said...

Diana - I think I'm only going to do audio for Ware going forward - I enjoyed it that much!

Mystica said...

I've read this author just once. This is a new book for me. Thanks for the review.

Luanne said...

It's really good Mystica - I think you'll like it!