Friday, September 7, 2018

You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover #227

- You can't judge a book by its cover - which is very true. 
But you can like one cover version better than another....

US cover
UK cover
Susan Hill writes one of my favourite British police series - featuring Simon Serraillier. The 9th entry, Comforts of Home, releases this fall. The US cover is on the left and the UK cover is on the right. There are undertones of blue in both covers as well as the pink of a sun setting. The black of a coming night appears in both. But two very different settings. The US cover is a shot of a home, while the UK cover has no structure in site, only a man gazing off into the distance, The US cover has a more ominous feel, while the UK cover seems more melancholy. For me, it's the UK cover this week. What about you?Which cover do you prefer? Any plans to read The Comforts of Home?
You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World.

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I find the UK cover more appealing too and wonder why both of them have Hill in such big letters.

Kay said...

I love this series and I'm so glad we will get another book. Wonder if this will be the last? Yes, I'm planning on reading it. I actually like the US cover better.

Luanne said...

Ha Bermudaonion - I went back to see what you mentioned and yes, HILL really is quite prominent!

Kay, I love this series and Deborah Crombie's as well. Hope it's no the end!

Icewineanne said...

Very late in responding to this post. Just saw it now.For some reason it ended up in my junk mail........arrrgh

In any case, i really like both covers. UK has a beautiful scene & i like the creepiness of the house & the use of purple on the US cover.
Susan Hill is a favourite. I’ll happily read anything she puts out. With regards to her last name being so prominent on the cover, it’s like that on all of her recent paperbacks.
Happy reading!

Luanne said...

I'll happily read anything she writes as well Icewineanne!