Monday, May 1, 2017

Miss You - Kate Eberlen

Miss You is Kate Eberlen's absolutely wonderful debut novel.

I loved the cover as it reminded me of a patchwork quilt. And then I looked a little closer at the pictures in the letters. It is two people who always seem to be headed in a different direction, never quite meeting. And that is the premise of Miss You.

Miss You opens in 1997 when both Tree (short for Teresa) and Gus are on holiday in Italy. They both happen to visit a church at the same time, exchange a few words and then go on with their lives.

Eberlen has created rich, full lives for both Tree and Gus. But not perfect -  their lives are also filled with loss, grief, anger along with the happy moments. Miss You is told in alternating chapters, in the same time frame, from the two as the years progress. And unusually for me, I didn't have a favourite - I liked them both the same. I became so caught up in each of their lives and kept reading 'just one more chapter' to see what might happen next.

What happened next, but also where. For you see, in every new time period, there's a moment when their paths cross. Not directly at first, but in passing, without recognizing that they've already met.

"We think we choose our friends, but perhaps it's only just a matter of chance."
"Do you believe in the one? As in, there's one person out there who's destined for you?"

With every new entry and years passing, I found myself hoping for that 'star-crossed lovers' moment that their paths would cross. Do they? Will things come full circle? I'm not saying - you'll have to read Miss You to find out. Here's an excerpt of Miss You.

I adored this book - it's warm, witty, heartwarming and real - with a touch of just maybe.......I'm looking forward to what Kate Eberlen writes next!

Cr: Leanne Dixon
"Kate Eberlen grew up in a small town thirty miles from London and spent her childhood reading books and longing to escape. She studied Classics at Oxford University before pursuing various jobs in publishing and the arts. Recently, Kate trained to teach English as a Foreign Language with a view to spending more time in Italy, a country she loves and has visited many times. Kate is married with one son." Find out more about Kate at her website, and connect with her on Facebook, follow her on Twitter, and on Instagram.

See what others on the TLC book tour thought. Full schedule can be found here.

I received this book for review from HarperCollins and TLC Book Tours.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I have this book sitting on my shelves so I'm glad to see you loved it.

trish said...

I'm so incredibly eager to read this book! I've seen this type of thing enough in my own life to be able to imagine the story already. Also, since I have a loose belief in fate, this kind of story just plays in to that belief.

Thanks for being on this tour!