Friday, February 24, 2017

You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover #147

- You can't judge a book by its cover - which is very true.
 But you can like one cover version better than another....

US cover
UK cover
I really enjoyed Fiona Barton's debut novel, The Widow. Her next novel is The Child is due out in June 2017 - and it's on my want to read list. The US cover is on the left and the UK cover is on the right. Two different looks this week. The birds on the US cover suggest something flown away or lost, above it all. The colours used are worn and faded, suggesting the past - which fits with the storyline. But the cover of the UK cover also hints at the story within. A torn scrap of newspaper headline hints that there is more to be told. It's more lurid than the US cover. And if I was standing in a bookstore and hadn't read the author's previous book, I would be more likely to pick up the UK cover, so that's my vote this week. What about you? Any plans to read The Child? Which cover do you prefer?
You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. 

2 comments:

Kay said...

I like both of them pretty well, though the scrap of newsprint would make me pick it up and read the blurb. A tie for me! And yes, I'm planning on reading this one.

Icewineanne said...

I prefer the birds in flight (although quote from MacIntosh sways). Haven't had time to read The Widow yet, but read good reviews so it's on my list. Will add this one too!