Monday, June 3, 2013

Thinking of You - Jill Mansell

Well, my summer beach bag wouldn't be complete without Jill Mansell's latest North American release - Thinking of You.

I do love a good chick lit read and British author Mansell never fails to deliver.

Ginny's daughter Jem is on her way to university and that leaves the divorced Ginny with an empty nest, time on her hands and some extra finances needed. She ends up with a new roommate, a new job and a new man in her life. Sounds perfect doesn't it? But....

Jem too, has a new set of roommates, a new job and a new man. But...

What I liked about Thinking of You was the two story lines from two different age perspectives. Mansell has done this in a number of her books. I think this makes her books more appealable to a larger audience. Mansell does an great job writing from each viewpoint.

Ginny was of course a character you'd love to count among your circle of friends - generous and good hearted but with enough insecurities to make her 'real'. And a best friend who's a little over the top - Carla. I have to say I didn't really ever warm up to Carla at all - not before or after 'the incident'. Ginny's ex-husband Gavin was fun and I enjoyed his scenes very much. Jem was portrayed well - a young girl out on her own for the first time experiencing the heartache and heartbreak of youth. And I really enjoyed the scenes of Mom visiting the university - I've lived those and they had me laughing out loud.

There are a few situations where I thought " Oh really, no one would fall for that" or some situations that were a bit too fortuitous, but then I gave my head a shake and reminded myself that it's chick lit. A place not to take things too seriously. A place where love is lost, love is found, friendships are made and tested and happy endings are the norm. In locations and places you'd like to live and work. So, while most of us will never live the lives of chick lit characters, we can visit, daydream and enjoy some escapist reading on a sunny day in the porch swing with Jill Mansell. Read an excerpt of Thinking of You.

You can find Jill Mansell on Facebook and on Twitter.


3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

You are so right about Mansell - her books are always terrific!

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Nice review! I think I'd like this one.

Luanne said...

They are Kathy! Mary - nice and light and fun for the summer!