Monday, February 1, 2010

Searching for Tina Turner - Jacqueline E. Luckett


*** Make sure you join Blog Talk Radio on Tuesday Feb. 2 from 6-7 pm EST for a live interview with Jacqueline Luckett. ***

Lena Spencer has it all - or does she? She's married to a handsome, wealthy, successful man, two beautiful children, gorgeous home and has no need to work. She should be happy, right? But she's not. Her marriage seems to be in trouble and there's something missing from her own life. She gave up her own ambitions when she married Randall.

"I love you. I love our family, but, I've given myself away, slowly, freely, and now...I want myself back."

When she approaches Randall, he gives her an ultimatum. Like it or leave - in a nutshell. Lena chooses leave and determined to find herself, embarks on a quest - with Tina Turner as her inspiration.

Lena is a likable character, someone you would enjoy having as a friend. Some readers may identify with her plight at age 54. Lena is lucky to have the funds available to follow her dream - all the way to France. The second half of the novel is set abroad and I did enjoy the descriptions of life and scenery. Some of the supporting characters are somewhat cliched - Randall and the other wealthy wives for example, but not to the point of unbelievability. But our feelings are firmly rooted with Lena and her journey for self-discovery. Parts of the plot are a bit too coincidental, but do not detract overall.

Using WWTD (What would Tina do?) as a hook was a good idea, but by the end the constant references were wearing a little thin for me. The ending is a bit ambiguous - I would have preferred a definite closing. But Luckett is at work on her second novel - perhaps it's a continuation?

A solid debut with a inspirational theme and plucky protagonist.

The reader's guide included in the book would appeal to book clubs of this age group. Fans of Terry McMillan's How Stella Got Her Groove Back would also enjoy this novel.

Searching for Tina Turner is Jacqueline E. Luckett's debut novel. You can find her on Twitter, Facebook or catch up with her on her blog.

See what the other readers on the tour today thought - Nicole, Gwendolyn, Dina, Karen, Isalys & Vanessa , Vicki and Bridget.

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

It sounds like I enjoyed this book more than you did. I really like Lena and the fact that she was learning to take care of herself! By the way, the BTR show has been changed to 6:00 PM Eastern time.

Luanne said...

Thanks for pointin out the time change Kathy - I've changed it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review, but it doesn't sound like one I'll pick up. "Self-discovery" wears thin for me.